Retina is the light-sensitive tissue lining the inner surface of the eye.The optics of the eye create an image of the visual world on the retina, which serves much the same function as the film in a camera. Light striking the retina initiates a cascade of chemical and electrical events that ultimately trigger nerve impulses. These are sent to various visual centers of the brain through the fibers of the optic nerve. The vision loss from the posterior segment pathology can arise at multiple levels- any opacities in Vitreous (like Vireous hemorrage), retinal lesions, Macular Lesions like ARMD, Optic nerve pathology etc.
The Hospital Is Equipped With The Following Facilities And Diagnostics To Deal With Retinal Diseases
- Ocular Coherence Tomography – to create baseline images and measurements of the retina in various planes for assessing Macula
- Fundus Camera – for taking photographs of the optic disc and retina and to perform Fundus Fluoroscein Angiography to analyse various components of retinal perfusion
- Multispot Diode laser – for doing lasers(focal/Scatter/panretinal photocoagulation) for various retinal conditions like Diabetic retinopathy and Maculapathy, CSR, Retinal ischaemia secondary to BRVO etc
- Intravitreal Avastin Injections– anti vascular endothelial growth factor treatment for CNVM, proliferative diabetic retinopathy, neovascular glaucoma, diabetic macular edema, retinopathy of prematurity and macular edema secondary to retinal vein occlusions.
- Surgical Retina – The Hospital is equipped with Reticare Posterior Segment Vitrectomy Machine to deal with Vitreous Hemorrage,Tractional Retinal Detachment, and Retinal Detachment with Posterior Breaks.